- 28 years in digital innovation (marketing & operations), preceded by 13 years in systems analysis and software development
- Designed some of the very first digital properties, websites, social networks, ad servers and content management systems
- Two-time agency president who has successfully built digital marketing centers of excellence in Los Angeles, Washington DC, Cincinnati and Seattle
- Teaching experience at graduate and undergraduate level in the US, Ireland and Canada
- Frequent public speaker on marketing innovation, in the US, Canada, India and Europe. Notable events:
- 2018 Trust in Food Symposium, Chicago, USA
- Keynote & conference chair, 2016 eBev Europe, Berlin, Germany
- Ankara Marka Festivali, Ankara, Turkey
- Keynote, 2015 Performance Marketing Summit, London, UK
- International Consumer Electronics Shows, Las Vegas, USA
- World Brand Congress, Mumbai, India
- Seybold Seminars, Boston & San Francisco
XEROX • Rochester, New York and Seattle, Washington, USA
VP & Practice Lead, Xerox Customer Experience Practice
2016 – present
I have launched and manage Xerox’s externally-facing CX consultancy – the Xerox Customer Experience Practice. We transform our clients’ customer experience touchpoints and transform their enterprises to deliver those touchpoints.
PRECOG DIGITAL • Seattle, Washington, USA
Co-Founder & Managing Director
2015 – 2016
Advancing digital maturity for global retail, telecom, food and tech brands through a digital transformation consultancy. Offices in Seattle and Toronto. Serving clients in US, Canada, UK and Turkey.
MEDIABRANDS WORLDWIDE • G-14 Region • London, United Kingdom
Chief Social Officer
2012 – 2015
Role: manage social media offerings and guide/mentor offices in Australia, Belgium, Brazil, China, France, Germany, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Netherlands, Russia, Spain, United Kingdom. Grow a centralised product and service offering. Assist on global new business pitches.
PwC (Ant’s Eye View acquisition) • Seattle, Washington, USA
Vice President, Business Strategy
2011 – 2012
As a digitally-focused management consultant, I counseled major global brands on social business, customer engagement, and traditional branding and marketing strategies. In this role, I acted as facilitator, trainer, strategist, account director, and business development. Clients: BMC Software, Hewlett-Packard, Holland America Line, Jack in the Box, KPMG, Nordstrom, Procter & Gamble, Seabourn, T-Mobile USA.
DDB WORLDWIDE • Vancouver, Canada
Head of Digital Strategy
2009 – 2011
Combination role of account management, planning/strategy, social media specialization, agency marketing and agency new business for the world’s largest advertising agency (by revenue). Clients: Intel, Nature’s Path Foods, Sun-Rype Foods, BC Hydro, Canadian Tourism, Government of Alberta, Travel Manitoba.
Designed an integrated traditional+social client campaign (including FourSquare, Twitter and blogger outreach effort) for the 2010 Winter Olympic Games. That same year, I crafted and presented the social media approach and positioning for the entire DDB worldwide network.
BRAND DIALOGUE • Seattle, Washington, USA
2002 – 2009
Brand Dialogue was a creative and strategy boutique supporting clients around the US. We helped launch laptops, social networks, integration consultancies, luxury spas, Sonoma wineries and educational firms, and promoted sustainability plays, NASDAQ mergers, public software firms, and automotive products.
Clients included eBay, Perry Ellis, Nature’s Path Foods, SustainLane, Puget Sound Energy, TrendWest Resorts, and many others.
YOUNG & RUBICAM • Irvine, California, USA
Senior Vice President and Managing Director
1998 – 2000
Designed, built and managed an $11MM, 32-person digital marketing practice for Y&R in the West. Provided digital leadership and counsel to clients and offices across the Y&R network.
Acted as client lead and interactive strategist for companies such as Lincoln, Mercury, Taco Bell, Brita and Clorox. I led top Ford execs through their first webcasts. Persuaded Lincoln Mercury management and dealers to completely change their approach to the Internet. Helped launch the Lincoln LS and new Mercury Sable. We also created the first web-enabled database systems, online test drive scheduling, and DB-generated dynamic messaging systems for Ford.
AKQA • Washington, DC, USA
Vice President, Business Development • Vice President, Practice Management
1997 – 1998
VP with Washington DC-based Magnet Interactive (now AKQA). Managed production, then went on to business development. Built relationships and managed large interactive marketing engagements for De Beers, Fedex, Global One, Level 3, Mattel, the Mayo Clinic, MCI, and the US Department of Commerce.
One of the best jobs I’ve ever had. Left to take a bigger opportunity on the West Coast.
BRIDGE WORLDWIDE • Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Director of Electronic Media
1994 – 1997
Tasked with designing and launching the “New Media” team at this Cincinnati agency. During the early days of the commercial Internet, we were creating multimedia training and sales CD-ROMs, and our clients (RCA, GE, Lenscrafters, Johnson & Johnson, Procter & Gamble, Kraft Foods, et al) started asking for websites. We were at the absolute cutting edge of interactive development, creating artificially intelligent sales tools, HR intranets, co-marketing partnerships and immersive environments.
I helped many of these firms take their first tentative steps into the online world. Every day we broke new ground…a very exciting time.
AMERICA ONLINE • Vienna, Virginia, USA
Community Manager & Content Curator
1990 – 1994
Founded and hosted online communities for AOL. AFC in the Mac Music & Sound community. Host of the AOL Composers’ Coffeehouse, one of the first online venues for composers, songwriters and lyricists. Hosted the AOL MIDI Jam Project, the first collaborative online composition project.
GENERAL MOTORS CORPORATION, FORD MOTOR COMPANY, ALLNET COMMUNICATION SERVICES • Detroit, Michigan, USA
Programmer, Business Analyst, Project Manager, Database Administrator
1979 – 1990
Worked my way up from Computer Operator to Programmer, Sr. Systems Analyst and Project Manager for companies like General Motors, Ford, Allnet Communication Services and Compuware. The old-skool platforms: CICS, IMS, DB2, COBOL II.
Besides learning how to navigate the very challenging political waters of large corporations, these positions provided classical training in project management, data flow analyses, business process improvement and needs definition…training that would help me in the marketing career that began in 1991.
Education & Skills
Bachelor of Arts in Communication Arts/Electronic Media
Xavier University • Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Graduated summa cum laude.
Associate of Arts in Data Processing
Grand Rapids Community College • Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA
Skilled in XHTML, CSS, Google Search Console, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe InDesign, DreamWeaver
- Brand Quarterly magazine, “Top 50 Marketing Thought Leaders over 50”, in both 2014 and 2015
- World Brand Congress, “Brand Leadership Award”
- Business Marketing Association, Gold Beacon awards for Best Integrated Campaign, Best Brand Identity and Best Print Collateral
- Automotive Advertising & Marketing Association, “Best Brand Website – Bronze” for lincolnvehicles.com
- “Cool Corporate Web Site Award” for mercuryvehicles.com
- Automotive Advertising & Marketing Association award for mercuryvehicles.com
- Web Marketing Association “Best of Health Care Industry” award, for mayohealth.org
- Webby Award, “Best Health Care Site” for mayohealth.org
- Yahoo! Internet Life, “One of the 50 Most Useful Websites,” for mayohealth.org
- Yahoo!, “Best Overall Health Site” award, for mayohealth.org
- American Corporate Video Award, Best Original Score
Married, living in Seattle, Washington
Interests: graphic design, hiking, karate, photography, travel